The Church of the Annunciation-at-Arkazhi
By the south-western border of the open-air museum of wooden architecture is
the single-cupolaed Church of the Annunciation (1179), reconstructed in its
upper section during the second half of the 17th century. In 1189 the church was
painted. Fresco fragments survive only in the altar. Cleared of later
over-paintings are the frescoes of the diaconicon (Scenes from the Life of
St John the Baptist), the central apse (two tiers of prelates' figures) and the
small altar (the Our Lady cycle).