The Church of Sts Boris and Gleb
The Church of SS Boris and Gleb in Plotniki was commissioned by a
group of Muscovite and Novgorodian merchants, in this case from
Zapolskaya and Konyukhovaya streets. It was erected in 1536 on
the foundations of an older church dating back to 1377, which
explains why it retains the earlier plan of a single-apse church.
However, although they used the old foundations, Novgorodian
masters erected a church which shows far greater Muscovite
influence than that of St Procopius. They gave it five domes,
thus breaking with the long tradition of a single dome which had
prevailed in Novgorodian architecture from the middle of the 12th
century to the beginning of the 16th, and each of the three
divisions on the outer walls ended in an ogee-shaped arch with a
pointed gabled roof over it.