The Church of Our Saviour-in-Kovaliovo


The Church of Our Saviour-in-Kovaliovo was built in 1345 and frescoed in 1363 by an anonymous predecessor of Theophanes the Greek. The church and its murals were destroyed by during the war. After the Second World War the Kovaliovo Church was resurrected from the ruins to the design of Leonid Krasnorechayev. Thanks to the tremendous efforts of the restorers Alexander and Valentina Grekov who reassembled several compositions from an infinite number of tiny fragments the original frescoes of 1380, which seemed to be irretrievably lost, have been partly restored. Work on the restoration continues.