The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Sign


From the 12th century the wooden Church of Our Saviour of the Transfiguration-in-Elijah-Street housed the icon of Our Lady of the Sign. In 1354, in its vicinity, a stone temple was built for the icon. The remains of the church were unearthed under the existing Cathedral of Our Lady of the Sign (1682 88). This huge cathedral is a far cry from the traditional style of Novgorodian architecture. Its crypt, five domes, galleries and window and door surrounds are all borrowings from Muscovite or more precisely all-Russian architecture. In 1702, the cathedral was frescoed by a group of Kostroma painters headed by Ivan Bakhmatov.