The Church of St John the Baptist-on-Opoki
In the last twenty years before Novgorod lost its independence
the deliberate imitation of old, 12th-century buildings became
fairly widespread. In 1454 Archbishop Euphymius had the Church of
St John the Baptist in Opoki (1127-30) demolished and a new one
built on the old foundations, which not only copied the ground
plan of the original church but all its other details as well.