COLLOBORATION OF UNIVERSITTIES
OF NANCY II, NOVGOROD AND NOTTINGHAM ON PROGRAMME TEMPUS
TEMPUS is the programme of European Union the aim of which is to help to the countries of Central and Eastern Europe and New Independent States in reorganization of their system of higher education.
Programme TEMPUS consists of three stages:
1. A pre-project is the programme during one year. It is the stage of analysis, the determination of the strategy of activity and the elaboration of the programme for a long period of time. The best preproject will get financial support for fulfiling the project (about 1/3).
2. A project is the programme for three years financed by European Union.
Novgorod University takes part in the programme from the beginning of 1993-1994 academic year, when Russion Federation was included in TEMPUS.
Novgorod University is one of four Russian universities which entered nowadays to system INTERNET, it has a great serveur.
1.The history of the programme.
The work started in 1990. It became possible thanks to the collaboration of University Nancy II and Novgorod Pedagogical Institute (now the part of Novgorod University) through Institute of Slav Languages (Nancy) and French Department (Novgorod).
In 1992 the contract with Pedagogical Institute af Lorraine appeared.
In 1994 Nottingham became the third parther.
All these educational establishments collaborate in clearly determined limits of activity: the teaching of foreign languages and mutual recognition of diplome from one side, Pedagogy and preparation of teacher from the other.
2. Definition of coordination.
University Nancy II - Jeanne Gucker, the coordinator of a pre-project
>f Lorraine Pedagogical Institute - Claude Kerviel
Novgorod University - Nonna Likhtarnikova
Nottingham University: Philip Hood.
3. The aims of collaboration in TEMPUS
- The development of an example structure in Novgorog, which unites according to the existing potential in Novgorod University all the elements necessary for the realization of the system of teaching foreing languages, preparation of teachers and increasing their qualification.
- preparation and realization of the plan of studies on speciality 'Applied Foreign Languaues' for Russion students. This plan must take into account at the same time Russian specification of the speciality and suggest the hours of studies and the structure of education which allow to recognize abilities of each student wishing to spend the whole academic year abroad (system ERASMUS or LINGUA). In some time an international diploma will be possible.
- Novgorod University is going to become the regional certification centre in education. It will provide the diffusion and transmission of knowledge to educational establishments of the tegion.
4. The aspects of pre-project Nancy - Nottingham - Novgorod.
The pre-project means the elaboration of the strategy of the development in three directions:
- The preparation of teachers.
- Languages teaching.
According to the pre-project two missions were made: to France (4.03 - 8.04.1995) and to England (14.05 - 21.05.1995).
The following work has been made:
- Discussion of theoretical problems of education. Exchange of information about educational systems;
- Visits to educational establishments of different levels from kindergarten to University.
- Visits to establishments dealing with experimental and research work in the field of new technologies.
- Visits to the centres of pedagogical production.
- Analysis and observation (visits to the lessons) on speciality 'Applied Foreign Languages'.
- Elaboration of the studing plan 'Applied Foreign Languages'.<
- The studying of the organization of students probation in enterprises place, actions, meetings with enterprises' chiefs.
- Studying of new approaches and methods of teaching French.
During the business trips it was possible to distinguish some partners of future working programmes:
- Le CRAPEL, Educational Sciences Department of University Nancy II, Lorraine Pedagogical Institute - in documentation and comparison of educational systems.
- Educational Sciences Department of University Nancy II (Ms.Papadoudi) - in the field of discussion and development of the conception of new pedagogical means.
- Videoscop (Ms.Perey) - the conception of development and production of new teaching means.
- The service of non-continuous preparation of teachers of Academy Nancy - Mezz - in the field of experiments.
- Applied Languages Department Nancy II - in the field of 'Applied Foriegn Languages'.
- French and English Languages Departments - in the field of teaching and preparation of teachers of foreign languages.
- Institute of Non-Continuous Pedagogical Education -in the field of Pedagogics and preparation of teachers.
- Nottingham University - in the field of non-continuous education and elaboration of teaching methods of foreign languages.
5. Priority aspects of long-term work:
- the centre of teaching of foreing languages and preparation of teachers;
- cooperation between university and industry;
- observatory of new technologies;
- experiments, production and regional diffusion of redagogical outlines.
All mentioned above must help to make a project which will be presented to European Association with the aim to be included to the three-year programme.